Coda File System

Re: Tokens, realms, browsing, hoarding: what's going on here?

From: Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen_at_xemacs.org>
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2003 13:21:15 +0900

    Jan> Codacon is a totally different type of output.

Ah, OK.

    Jan> That doesn't matter (anymore). The VSGDB is only used by
    Jan> createvol_rep when volumes are created, servers don't even
    Jan> bother to load it anymore.

Too bad.  I like flat files that make sense when you eyeball them.

OK.  I already have server and client entries in /etc/hosts.  But, hm,
codacon just spit out "NewConnectFS tleepslib" (note lack of domain).
/etc/hosts was wrong (the short name was first), switching that, now I
get "NewConnectFS tleepslib.sk.tsukuba.ac.jp".  I'm still getting the
dangling symlink after a reinit and hoard, let's try reinitting and
rehoarding one more time.

Nope.  Same thing.  I wonder if a DNS SRV record is necessary for this
purpose?

    Jan> I was thinking more that your rootvolume might be non-replicated.

I don't think so.  That was already deprecated practice by then, and
cfs lv says it's "type ReadWrite" and in VRList it looks exactly like
all the others, except for for the name, volume id, and replica id.

    Jan> On the other hand it could still be some DNS/hostname issue,

I wouldn't be surprised, network management is a mess here, not just
my /etc/hosts, either.  I probably can't get that SRV entry in the
DNS, I may have to partition and set up my own private domain.

So unless you have another concrete suggestion, I'll first try
installing a caching nameserver, and if that doesn't do it, proceed
with the backup, erase, install from scratch strategy.