Coda File System

Re: practical limitations for file size/number in Coda

From: <Michael.James_at_csiro.au>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 17:13:07 +1100
> On Fri, Oct 24, 2003 at 01:10:03PM -0500, Wade Stebbings wrote:
> I saw the reference in the mail archive to 256KB in a discussion about
> Coda scaling.  The discussion was about a year ago, and so I didn't
> know (1) how this might have changed since then, and (2) exactly how
> the 256KB directory size limitation translated into number of files.

What are the limits of Coda?

What is the biggest file it can handle?

What is the biggest Coda volume?

What other limits might bite a user with lots of big files??

I looked and couldn't find answers
 to these basic questions on the Coda site.

( Please, please tell me to RTFM...
    with a URL to the relevant page of the FM of course)

I'm looking for a form of NFS with local disk based caching
 to distribute bio-informatic files across a beowulf cluster.

I've got 20 Gig of files and growing fast.
(400 Gig of space on the server)
Each file up to and a bit over 2 Gig.

Nodes only need read-only access
 and files change sometimes weekly,
 so it's a simplest possible case,
 but I do need the performance boost of a local cache.

TIA,
michaelj

--
Michael James				michael.james_at_csiro.au
System Administrator			voice:	02 6246 5040