Coda File System

Realm resolution problems on RedHat 9

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 12:36:54 -0500
I don't know exactly why but it looks like there are some resolver
issues in RedHat 9's glibc library. The basic symptom is that venus and
clog are 'Unable to resolve addresses for <insert realm name>'.

This is caused by the fact that gethostbyname never really talks to the
DNS servers, but only tries /etc/hosts and the name server cache daemon
(nscd). Perhaps something goes wrong with the initialization of the
resolver library because we called res_search, to look for IN SRV
records, before falling back to gethostbyname based resolution.

An interim solution is to start /usr/sbin/nscd as root and everything
works as it should.