Coda File System

No partitions found for server...

From: Bartosz Stepien <stepien~coda_at_firma.hoga.pl>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 22:27:31 -0500
Hello,

I have a problem with replication setup; cannot create volume that is to
be replicated, createvol_rep ... ends claiming I ad no partitions on
second fileserwer. Let me introduce my system (my first coda
installation, in fact):

- two machines: kinga.wew (SCM) and hg.wew. Domain .wew is present in our
  DNS, mapped to private IPs. Network works OK.

- coda 6.0.2 on Linux (Mandrake 9.2 on kinga, SuSE 7.3 on hg; vanilla
  kernels respectively 2.4.22 and 2.4.18, coda module downloaded from
  coda site)

- both machines configured using vice-setup, pretty standard way, I
  think... Kinga was completely configured before hg came into place,
  then at first I tried connecting from hg as client. Worked smoothly.
  Then I wiped out 'client' config on hg and started to make it second
  server.

- whenever I try to create a replicated volume (using Coda howto or
  manual (I know, outdeted) and instructions printed by vice-setup),
  createvol_rep ends with "Found no partitions for server hg.wew.". No
  RPC errors, no other errors, no nothing. Nothing interesting in logs
  (rpclog empty, others -- no errors, on both sides). Adding vols to
  kinga alone works well, but I need them replicated. Data from /vice
  does travel from kinga to hg.

I have no idea which details to include... this 'no partitions' error
seems the only bad sign. I'm not sure about VSGDB format: there should
be one id for kinga, second for hg, third different for group, shouldn't
it? I have also tried adding root vol. having hg configured and running,
didn't help. Output from strace -f createvol_rep doesn't show anythhing
strange (or, at least, I'm not able to notice it at about 4am). I tried
to manually add hg's partitions to vicetab on kinga, still doesn't work.

Simply ran out of ideas. Anybody has some spare ones?

--
Always look on the bright side of life