Coda File System

Re: How can I Check if an replicated Volume already exist?

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 16:05:11 -0500
On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 05:13:03PM +0000, Marko Klaus wrote:
> >> ++ cat /vice/db/scm
> >> + volutil -h desaster.rewiss.fu-berlin.de dumpvrdb /vice/db/VRList.new
> >> V_BindToServer: binding to host desaster.rewiss.fu-berlin.de
> >> RPC2_NewBinding to server desaster.rewiss.fu-berlin.de failed with
> >RPC2_NOBINDING (F)
> >
> >This just looks like the coda server isn't running.

... This is still valid ... it looks like your Coda server is not
running.

createvol_rep needs to connect to the server to get a current copy of
the 'volume replication database' (VRDB). It uses this to check if
you've already created a volume with the same name.

As it can't talk to the server, it can't check if the volume already
exists, and it clearly can't create a volume either, because we need to
be able to talk to the server to create one.