Coda File System

Re: newbie, Authentication troubles

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 19:15:19 -0500
On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 06:56:00PM -0500, Richard Kreuter wrote:
> Here is an sample of what gets logged in /vice/auth2/AuthLog on trying
> to authenticate from the host on which the server is running, after
> which ctokens shows no tokens, and attempts to do anything to files in
> the volume fails with Permission Denied errors:

The AuthLog is often not very enlightening.

Are there any errors when you use clog?

Something like can't resolve authentication servers for realm foo, or
RPC2_NOBINDING, or RPC2_NOTAUTHENTICATED.

> Here's the log of a successful authentication, from the other host.
> Does this tell anybody anything?
>
> 18:43:13 In PWGetKeys()
> 18:43:13        vid = 1000
> 18:43:13        vid = 1000
> 18:43:13 AuthNewConn(0x3a8f, 0, 66, 2, 1000)

No, just that someone connected and tried to authenticate for a user
with user-id 1000.

Actually it does seem to indicate that the authentication was successful
and a token was passed back to clog, otherwise the message would have
been, '11:47:57 Authentication failed for "jaharkes" from ...'

So the problem must then be when passing the token from clog to venus.
But I would still expect some kind of error message.