Coda File System

hoard, disconnected usage advice?

From: Richard M Kreuter <kreuter_at_anduril.rutgers.edu>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 19:57:45 -0500
Hello,

Four questions about hoarding and disconnected use (I'll be grateful
if anybody can answer any of them, particularly number 4...):

(1) On my tiny (two host) coda cell, I find I'm not able to hoard as
an unprivileged (non-root) user on the clients.  I've tried adding my
uid to /etc/coda/venus.conf (primaryuser=<uid>), but the errors remain
consistent.  I am able to hoard as root, however.  How does one hoard
as a non-root user?

Here's my hoardfile:

-
a /coda/ramsey.localdomain/home/kreuter 600:d+
-

Here's a transcript of an attempt to have hoard read this file:

-
kreuter_at_ramsey:~$ hoard -f hoard.hdb
pioctl:Add(7f000004_at_ramsey.localdomain, ., 600, 5, 1000): Permission denied
-

The kreuter user on the clients has authenticated via clog, and can
access the files in this case.

--

(2) Next, when I try 'hoard walk' (as root), watching the log I see
many of the following error:

-
[ H(07) : 0009 : 17:14:36 ] fsdb::Create: (5084a7c8.7f000004.1556.d6c,
45000) failed
-

hoard reports failing to cache many files, and these files then show
up with an asterisk in the output of 'cfs lc'.  After disconnecting,
these files are unavailable to the client.  Is there a limit to the
number of files I can hoard?

--

(3) In general, what is the recommended usage pattern for hoard?  I've
monitored the venus.log on the coda client, and it seems that

--

(4) Finally, in my first attempt to reboot after hoarding and
disconnecting, venus started, but failed to mount (?) the root volume

--
Thank you in advance,
Richard