Coda File System

Re: FAQ: Is Coda ready for use?

From: Joerg Sommer <joerg_at_alea.gnuu.de>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 10:53:52 +0000 (UTC)
begin  Lionix <lio_at_absium.com> wrote:
>>I read in any documentation coda respects the unix permission of files.
>>Is this correct?
>>
> No, you can't use chown / chmod to manage permissions, they are provided
> by the ACL and unix permission are not used anymore . Even if a file is
> root:root 600, everybody can read the file if directory is ACL-readable..

Are you sure? http://www.coda.cs.cmu.edu/doc/html/manual/x237.html says:

"In addition to the Coda access lists, the three owner bits of the file
mode are used to indicate readability, writability, and executability.
You should use chmod(1) to set the permissions on individual files."

>>How does coda match with kerberos? I read some articles in the archive
>>which tell about problems. Are there still problems?
>>

> I've never tested the pam_kerberos written by Mr Popov.
> But i'm sure it works well as he use it !

pam_kerberos works, but this isn't relevant. What I want to know is, does
coda grants access if a valid kerberos token is present and does the
kerberos UID match the coda uid - otherwise ls prints false user names?

BTW: http://www.coda.cs.cmu.edu/doc/html/manual/x197.html says a tokes
expires after 25 hours. Is this tunable? How to grant access for system
services like apache? If users have in their home a webspace ~/.www/
which is accessible through http://www.foo.de/~user/. So apache needs a
unlimited token. Is this possible?

>>Is it possible to deactivate the cache on the client machines at runtime?
>>
> I would say no.. caching mecanism is a full part of the coda client (
> venus ).
> Why would you like to do such a thing ??? You can define the size of the
> cache in conf file.

Well, cache isn't the right word. I mean the disk cache. I would like to
turn them on and off at runtime like a swap partition.

Joerg.
end.