Coda File System

Re: coda on amd64?

From: Andrew Sharp <andy_at_netfall.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 16:10:15 -0800
On Sat, Jan 03, 2004 at 11:39:02PM +1030, Brett Lymn wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 02, 2004 at 09:36:23AM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:
> >

> > I recall from years ago that coda didn't run on alpha.  But it really
> > is time to resolve this; 64-bit machines are no longer odd.
> >

> Getting less odd by the day.  AMD certainly are pushing hard that way,
> I suspect that Intel will follow soon with a consumer offering.

Not likely.  There's nothing in the pipeline/roadmap coming very soon.
Their marketing department is still a little concerned about how
they are going to convince customers to keep buying itaniums at $3k
per processor when customers might not understand why they shouldn't
just buy an entire computer based on a consumer part for 1/2 of that.
And the same goes for OEMs.  Which is what AMD is telling people right
now ~:^)

But let's not forget that 64bit hasn't been odd for a while:
ultraSPARC-II runs both linux and netbsd.  Also let's not forget apple's
G5 offerings, which will soon, if they don't already, run those OSes as
well.