Coda File System

Re: Disconnected HOME directories

From: Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen_at_xemacs.org>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 16:50:01 +0900
[I see Jan has commented on this while I was testing.  But here's some
"real-world" confirmation that something very bad got fixed.]

    Greg> It would be really nice if someone verified that
    Greg> disconnected startup really worked [...].
    Greg> IMHO, unless this all works, coda can't be relied upon for
    Greg> files that you actually need to read when you aren't on the
    Greg> net -- and I am in practice refraining from really relying
    Greg> on it.

FWIW, I use disconnected startup a lot (my notebook's battery serves
only to fill a hole in the case), and I did have problems for several
weeks last Autumn, but it got fixed.

    Greg> Now, I think the realms resolution needs to happen before
    Greg> coda is usable at all.

IIRC, that's what Jan fixed.  It used to be that the realm resolution
wasn't stored in RVM, but now it is.  Something like that.  Anyway, I
just rebooted after pulling the plug on the box's LAN connection, cfs
cs tells me ("Officer Obie was just makin' sure") no servers are up,
and "ls /coda" tells me that "tleepslib.sk.tsukuba.ac.jp" is there
(and I can do some trivial manipulations like cat on some of the files
found there).  Before this got fixed, I would get a busted reference.

Of course if you reinit venus you're hosed until you get reconnected,
but you lose the cache anyway so I presume the realm mapping is the
least of your worries then.