Coda File System

Re: rvm full ?

From: Ivan Popov <pin_at_medic.chalmers.se>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 09:04:44 +0100 (MET)
> On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 03:32:59AM -0500, Ivan Popov wrote:
>> it looks like I am hitting rvm fragmentation or some other phenomenon
>> that
>> makes further volume modifications fail (create or delete files).
>
> No, this is not RVM fragmentation.
>
>> (the logs complain about no space in the volume log, trying to wrap
>> around
>> and failing)
>
> You have one (or more) clients that are not talking to both servers.
> Possibly weak reintegration, or a server was down for a while. As a
> result one server has a stale copy of the volume. Luckily the other
> server kept meticulous track of what operations the missing server
> hasn't seen yet.

The problem is that directory update operations on the old volume fail
as both servers at the same time complain about
"no space in the volume log".
Why at all would they use the volume log while fully connected?

I am repeatedly checking with "cfs cs", as I usually do during big
updates, and the connection is always strong (10 Mbit LAN).

> The problem you face is that we ran out of the allocated space to log
> the operations.

I know but I "assumed" that that was a misleading symptom, caused
by some other problem - because I get that on two servers at once,
in fully connected state.

> For each volume replica of the replicated volume do,

Thanks, worth a try. I'll see if it helps.

> This should double (or quadruple?) the size of the resolution log on
> each volume. After that you probably would want to run a recursive ls
> through the volume to make sure both replicas are in sync again.

Sure.

Thanks Jan!
--
Ivan