Coda File System

Re: Permissions problem on coda after reboot

From: Marek Zachara <marek.zachara_at_telperion.pl>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 09:25:32 +0100
On Saturday 24 January 2004 10:07, Marek Zachara wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have managed to get through the installation and configuration
> of both coda client and server 'grepping' the mailing lists and
> documentation but now I have come across weird problem...
>
> I have installed a coda server on (let's call it ) host1
> and coda client on host2. When I did it yesterday I was able
> to use the coda as it is supposed to work, I had a mounted
> /coda/myrealm visible and accessible at coda client machine (host2),
> I could make directories, copy and access files there.
>
> I went to sleep happy the work is done ;-)
>
> Now I turned on the machines this morning and the system is only
> 'half-working' - I can clog (as admin), I see the /coda/myrealm mounted, I
> see the files I copied there yesterday, I can read them, but alas! I cant
> write anything on the coda volume! :(

Hmm, I have solved the problem, but still don't know what was causing
it...
I have moved some coda files to places I though were more suitable
from my point of view - from /usr/ dir to /etc and /var and changed
appropriate entries in venus.conf
then I run venus-setup myrealm 40000 again and after reboot
everything works fine again (I have write access to the coda dir).

Such behaviour does make me feel vey uncomfortable because
so far I have been playing with coda to see if it is possible to use
it for a production environment. I guess that could be risky...

Marek