Coda File System

Re: newbie questions re: coda media server

From: Ivan Popov <pin_at_medic.chalmers.se>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 09:35:57 +0100 (MET)
Hello Adam,

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004, Adam Manock wrote:

> I commented stuff out in /etc/coda/realms and restarted coda-client.
> That seemed to get rid of the testserver dir entry in /coda/  :-)

if the following is your realms file, it should not make any difference,
compared to its absence, as it is not telling your client anything about
the realms
coda.cs.cmu.edu
 or
coda.cs.wwu.edu
which was probably the meaning of it

at the same time, accessing /coda/marais.coda.cs.cmu.edu
that is listed below like a realm
would be possible without the "realms" file as well  - being a wrong idea
anyway.

> # Our little Coda realm at CMU
> # coda.cs.cmu.edu verdi.coda.cs.cmu.edu mozart.coda.cs.cmu.edu
> marais.coda.cs.cmu.edu
> # WWU realm
> # coda.cs.wwu.edu southfork.ldc.cs.wwu.edu mainfork.ldc.cs.wwu.edu
> nooksack.ldc.cs.wwu.edu

> Will coda work (read only) on files that are bigger than the local
> cache?

No.

> e.g. If I had a 1.6Gb divx movie file,

Then to begin playing the movie you would have to wait until the whole
1.6G is fetched into the cache (open() blocks).
Several minutes on a 100Mbit line...

> What will coda do when I go to access a huge file too big to cache?

Open will fail with "no space on device", iirc.

Regards,
--
Ivan