Coda File System

re: Coda on OS X

From: Chris Woodfield <rekoil_at_semihuman.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 16:03:55 -0500
Hi Chris,

I'm a a home Mac user with multiple machines running OS X, including a Powerbook. A
unified home directory among my multiple Macs has been a longtime goal; if it weren't
for the laptop I would have put my /Users directory on an AFP server a long time ago. I'm
currently using a third-party syncing app to do this, but as you might expect, there are
some interesting side effects with that approach, due to the lack of realtime syncing.

iDisk is great for a relatively small volume of files, but the size constraints and lack
of local server support makes it impractical for an entire set of home directories.
Local iDisk server support could be a good feature to add to 10.4, if the .mac people
don't pitch a fit over it...

I stumbled on Coda a while back, and everything I read said "this is THE
ANSWER"...until I realized there was no MacOS implementation. Dang.

That said, I'll gladly throw my voice into the "please port Coda to MacOS X" chorus...I
Am Not A Coder, but I'd be glad to help test dev implementations.

Thanks,

-Chris Woodfield