Coda File System

Re: XOR in Coda

From: Ivan Popov <pin_at_medic.chalmers.se>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 09:23:25 +0100 (MET)
On Thu, 19 Feb 2004, Jan Harkes wrote:

> That is to be expected... The rpc2 window isn't as flexible as TCP's and
> pretty much aims at having between 8 and 16 packets on the wire at any
> given time.

How hard would it be to tweak it to use bigger windows?
On a currently "almost typical" home-to-office connection we are using
between 25% and 5% of the bandwidth, that seems a bit too conservative.

Of course it relates to bulk transfer of bigger files, which are not a
majority. Small files suffer from other kinds of overhead and will not
improve as much with bigger windows. Still, there is a lot to gain.

> opcodes (similar to stat(2) vs. stat64(2)), which allows old clients to
> remain using the new servers. The question by that time will really be,
> is is really worth the more than 5 minute wait to access (or save) a
> 2GB+ file that is not in the Coda client cache.

There is a good chance that the networks as well as local storage will
become even faster, and that for some installations it will be ok with
5 minutes startup time (I _can_ wait several minutes before watching a
movie for 3 hours... or playing a game all night long... :)

My 2c,
--
Ivan