Coda File System

Re: Coda on Fedora Core 1

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 09:36:46 -0500
On Mon, Mar 15, 2004 at 10:57:23AM +0100, Daniel Tschan wrote:
> Did someone manage to make coda work on Fedora Core 1? I always run into
> the problem that repair is not seeing local mutations.

I don't have Fedora installed here, but I can't see how that can be a
distribution specific problem.

One thing that I do know is that the kernel is unable to turn a
'conflicting' directory into a dangling symlink as long as it has an
active reference. Repair only recognizes a conflict because of the
dangling symlinks.

Something like a shell can easily pin a directory down as the current
working directory is an active reference. The directory object is not
open, but the directory cache entry is still referenced in the kernel).

The only solution there would be to do 'cd /' or kill all shells that
are currently in /coda. lsof and fuser are quite helpful for hunting
down the possible culprits.