Coda File System

Re: cache expiration / invalidation / something ?

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 19:33:04 -0500
On Wed, Mar 31, 2004 at 01:25:16PM +0200, Ivan Popov wrote:
> A strangeness is that at some point mozilla refused to start and a
> troubleshooting showed that profile data under
> ~/.mozilla/default/..... was unavalable with "Connection timed out".
>
> Of course, when the servers were brought online and tokens acquired, the
> problem disappeared.
>
> My question is - why would Venus ever loose/flush/invalidate the data in
> the cache, while it definitely was "produced" locally and still valid?

Just a guess, the last operation on that file was a reintegration?

I've noticed some 'VVs are different' messages from GetAttr/Fetch type
operations that seem to correspond to recent reintegrations. There is
probable something in the client that is not correctly updating the
local version vector, which results in a forced refetch of a file that
we were the last writer for.

At the moment this is nothing more than a theory though.