Coda File System

Re: Questions on disconnected operation

From: Ivan Popov <pin_at_medic.chalmers.se>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 09:16:34 +0200 (MEST)
On Mon, 5 Apr 2004, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>     Johannes> or after a reboot of the client?
>
> This requires saving and restoring a valid token.  Use "clog -tofile
> .codatoken <user_at_realm>" to authenticate and save the token, and "clog
> -fromfile .codatoken" to restore it after restarting the client
> (whether voluntarily or because of a reboot).

(I think it has been so, but) as far as I can tell,
it is not necessary nowadays while you are disconnected.

Venus just uses cached rights (per local process uid and object).

Tokens are worthless while disconnected as Venus can not verify their
validity, so it behaves correctly, ignoring them.

On the other side, when you are connected, you can clog in a usual way.

Venus does not flush the cached rights while connected, so short
connections do not harm your access to the cache.

I believe venus could (and should!) use those cached rights even in
connected mode, unless there are valid tokens present - but it should be
thought out carefully before implementing.

Regards,
--
Ivan