Coda File System

Re: Broken link when using realms - cant access server

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 12:19:20 -0400
On Tue, Apr 06, 2004 at 01:57:44PM +0100, paul.rogers_at_mowlem.com wrote:
> > Once a client has the names of the volume replicas it will perform lookups
> > for volume location.
> > - Does \'volutil -h servername getvolumelist\' contain the volume name   (with
> > a \'.0\' or \'.1\' extension)
>
> This returns the following error message:
>
> [root_at_edm_bfhxx_fp002 volutil]# ./volutil -h edm_bfhxx_wb005 getvolumelist
> Tokenfile /vice/db/volutil.tk: No such file or directory

Ok, that's simply because volutil normally only runs on servers. The
volutil.tk file is the shared secret that the server uses. The latest
release (6.0.5) has a little update that allows anyone who has a token
that identifies them as a user in the System:Administrator group to use
volutil without having the /vice/db/volutil.tk secret.

But it is probably easier run the command on the server.

> [root_at_edm_bfhxx_fp002 smon2]# ./getvolinfo edm_bfhxx_wb005 codaroot
> RPC2 connection to edm_bfhxx_wb005:2432 successful.
> Returned volume information for codaroot
>         VolumeId 7f000000
>         Replicated volume (type 3)
>         Type3 id 7f000000
>         Replica0 id 01000001, Server0 10.80.18.207

Ok, so the client gets the rootvolume name (codaroot), then does the
equivalent of getvolinfo codaroot, and finally tries to connect to
10.80.18.207. I hope that that address is the same as what
edm_bfhxx_wb005.edm.mowlem.com is using.

But if it is I'm not sure why this isn't working. At least we know that
the name resolution seems to be working, the ROOTVOLUME file is correct
and getvolinfo actually returns valid looking data.

Maybe it is getting to be the time to try to figure things out with
tcpdump.

    tcpdump -n -p -w codatraffic.dump port codasrv

And then try to access /coda/...