Coda File System

Re: Roaming portables and Coda

From: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih_at_eunetnorge.no>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 09:46:18 +0200
Ivan Popov <pin_at_medic.chalmers.se> writes:

> It does not depend on a system using TCP or UDP but how the application
> (ssh or venus) reacts when the addresses change and the connection has to be
> reconfigured. You see, ssh _could_ cache the user's password and try
> to reestablish a connection once it breaks...

Yeah, but to be useful, it would have to actually re-establish the
same connection through a different path, so that the same connection
now had a new endpoint.  In other words, a general TCP connection
migration facility.  Incredibly useful, but pie-in-the-sky for now.

> I guess Venus could be modified to survive ip number changes, if it
> does not yet. Doesn't it at all?

Not as far as I can tell, no.

> There is a parameter you can set in the venus.conf to let the client
> to keep the connection alive.

Cool!  Wasn't aware of that one.  Will have to check with our firewall
admin, to see how low I need to go.

> It cannot go "unnoticed" by Venus, you will become disconnected and
> eventually reconnect again.

Well, yes, but it could automatically reconnect through the new
network path the moment it noticed that the old interface/address
combination was defective, right?

Thanks for your feedback -- I guess I'll have to start studying the
Venus source code as soon as I find some time...

-tih
--
Tom Ivar Helbekkmo, Senior System Administrator, EUnet Norway
www.eunet.no  T: +47-22092958 M: +47-93013940 F: +47-22092901