Coda File System

Re: A couple of Coda questions

From: Ivan Popov <pin_at_medic.chalmers.se>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 12:17:13 +0200
Hello Tom,

On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 06:00:58PM +0200, Tom Ivar Helbekkmo wrote:

> I don't think I fully understand realms.  If you just install a
> server, and don't think about the realm, the FQDN of the server

I would put it another way. You want to choose a realm name,
and never ever change it afterwards (it is so with all names which
are actively used).

So you would begin with allocating a DNS SRV record for your realm.
Alternatively (SRV records may be unavailable at your place)
allocate a DNS A or CNAME record to point to your future server.

You _can_ replace that operation by a line in the "realms" file
on a client, but remember that it is not supposed to be used in production,
it is just a debug/workaround mechanism.
Realm names do not belong to a client setup.
All clients are supposed to have the same idea about realm names,
without any extra administration per client.

You can access the same Coda data via several paths like
/coda/<server-dns-name>/....
/coda/<server-name-found-in-etc-hosts>/....
/coda/<server-ip-in-dot-notation>/....
/coda/<realm-name-in-the-"realms"-file>/....

but those are useful for testing, not meant to be used otherwise.

You should use always
/coda/<realm-name-as-it-is-present-in-dns>/....
as it is the only relevant one - and it is not going to change.

> Next, I'm wondering how, after setting up a server and a few volumes,
> I can add a new server to the real, so the already existing volumes,
> created using createvol_rep, and thus "replicated" across a single
> server, can be genuinely replicated.  Any hints?  Or do I have to
> create new ones, copy the data over, and then delete the old?

Traditionally it was not possible - recreation was the only option.
Nowadays you can try to extend volume replication groups.
See http://www.coda.cs.cmu.edu/maillists/codalist/codalist-2004/6180.html

Regards,
--
Ivan