Coda File System

Re: An error message in my /vice/srv/SrvLog

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 12:45:57 -0400
Oops, forgot to send this to the list,

On Thu, Apr 29, 2004 at 03:08:04PM +0200, Ivan Popov wrote:
> > 13:43:21 client_GetVenusId: got new host 195.0.195.202:6593
> > 13:43:21 Building callback conn.
> > 13:43:26 ValidateVolumes: 0x7f000001 failed!
>
> Failing ValidateVolumes is probably ok and in any case harmless,
> as it just triggers per-file validation.
> It should fail for all volumes where something has changed while
> the client was disconnected, but not otherwise - if I understand it
> correctly.

Correct, basically a client once in a while revalidates everything in
the cache. If nothing changed in a volume between two validations it
remembers the volume version vector (VVV). Then when we reconnect we
first check the VVV to see if any of these volumes are still unchanged.

If they are, we clearly don't have to further check any of the files
until something is updated, at that point the server will break our
'volume callback' and we fall back on checking the individual files.