Coda File System

Re: RVM metadata & VM

From: Johannes Martin <jmartin_at_notamusica.com>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 13:24:29 +0200 (CEST)
On Tue, 11 May 2004, Jan Harkes wrote:
> The other not as widely documented option is to use a file as the
> backing store for RVM and enable the mapprivate=1 option in the
> server.conf configuration file. Because we are able to mmap a file the
> allocation and copy steps are not needed which significantly speeds up
> server startup. Also when there is memory pressure the kernel simply
> discards any unmodified pages and reloads them from the file if they are
> needed again. Modified/dirty pages will end up in swap. So over time the
> server will end up with the whole 2GB in swapspace, but it would have to
> modify every single RVM data page before that happens and a server
> restart completely fixes that.
As far as I remember, the documentation seemed to suggest that having the
RVM stored in a separate partition was the preferred/recommended option.
Is this still (or was that ever) the case, or would performance or
reliability with an RVM-file be just as good as with a partition?

Is there a way to migrate from a partition to a file?

Thanks
	Johannes