Coda File System

Re: Problems with large files?

From: Ivan Popov <pin_at_medic.chalmers.se>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 16:46:02 +0200
Hello Michael,

> I finally started integration of coda into a production environment.

let you take it cautiously.

> Things seemed quite fine until I started testing the whole thing with
> files > cachesize.

Coda is not supposed to be used with file sizes bigger than cache size.
Whole file caching is fundamental for Coda, and you have to have space
for at least all simultaneously open files.

> There seems to be no problem if I simply copy a single
> file (larger than the cachesize) to a coda-volume, but when I checked out

It may work, but usually it does not make much sence as you never can
access that file from that client.

> CML-reintegration-problems (btw. what does CML mean?), that did not fully

Cache Modification Log (?)

> Furthermore venus seemed to be crashed (`cfs cs` and ctokens hung) and a
> restart of venus was only possible after purging the DATA & LOG -files.

I suppose you might have hit some bug in venus by asking it for impossible
operations, or just by the CVS program which stresses the filesystem in
a special way.
(CVS essentially is not compatible with Coda - it relies on exclusive
access/locking which in general does not exist on Coda.
I do not say it cannot be used, but I suppose its usefulness is very limited.)

> Would things be any better if `cfs tl && cfs purgeml` were used? Those
> commands didn't work for me in this situation.

Can't say anything...

Best regards,
--
Ivan