Coda File System

About SCM Functionnality...

From: EXT / FOCAL CASSUTO Marc <ext.focal.cassuto_at_sncf.fr>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 10:54:50 +0200
Hello,

As I understood, the SCM server is just different from the replicate server
in the way it is responsible for the user database and the volume related
functionalities.

Normally, if the SCM shutdown (due to hardware or network failure), the coda
system (client and replicate server) should
still running...

In a configuration with one volume replicated on two servers, the
configuration is :
# cat /vice/db/VSGDB
E0000100 servint1
E0000102 proxytest
E0000103 servint1 proxytest
# cat /vice/db/VRList
vROOT 7f00000b 1 100000c 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 E0000100
vSHARE 7f00000c 2 100000d 2000004 0 0 0 0 0 0 E0000103

vROOT is the root volume wich will be automaticaly mounted
as /coda/my-realm by the client software

THE QUESTION IS : what happens during an SCM failure ?
The replicated server can still properly work as there is no root volume
anymore ?

I ask because I ran many inconsistence problems while playing with Coda...
In particular when shutting down the SCM.

I need to understand, please help.

Marc Cassuto.