Coda File System

Re: Configuring a server with several interfaces

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 18:09:42 -0400
On Fri, Aug 27, 2004 at 04:11:11PM -0500, Nicholas Haggin wrote:
> 	The machine I use as my Coda server at home also serves as several
> other things, being in effect a multipurpose network workhorse. I've
> recently installed a second Ethernet adapter in it, which is connected
> to my 802.11 access point; my current project is securing said access
> point with a captive portal and IPSec. The server has IP address
> 192.168.0.2 on the wired side and 192.168.1.1 on the wireless.

The response to Coda's volume location request only has a single
ip-address. So that causes a bit of a headache for multi-homed hosts.
The only solution really is to pick one address, and stick to that as
much as possibly, using routing tricks to make sure that anyone on
either network can reach that one address.

I think part of the problem is that some addresses are re-resolved
during startup, while others are stored in RVM, or the VLDB file. So at
the moment you might have one place saying that the server is at
192.168.0.2, while some other place thinks it is 192.168.1.1.

Other problems that now easily happen, when a server is part of a
replicated group, it needs to know it's "index" in the version-vector.
If the address doesn't match, we don't know which one to bump and we
automatically get inconsistencies.

> 	The ipaddress parameter in my server.conf is currently set to
> 192.168.0.2; should I unset it? Or do I have to tell Coda to start up

You definitely want to unset that, that option makes Coda only listen on
one interface. It was originally added to get multiple servers working
on one machine. The network interface was given 10 or more unique
ip-aliases and each alias would have a Coda server bound to it.
(technically this only saves hardware, since from the network side it
looks like there were multiple machine hooked up).