Coda File System

Re: Is Coda right for me?

From: Mike Fedyk <mfedyk_at_matchmail.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 00:01:37 -0700
Ivan Popov wrote:

>Ryan wrote:
>

>>all I really want is global name space
>>

>Certainly Coda is the best fs in that aspect. The question is what you
>mean by "globalness". Some approximation like AFS does it can be ok.

How are the name spaces of Coda and AFS different?  Up until now I
thought they are pretty similar in that respect...

>>Question #4: If users need to work with 10GB or greater files, will the client
>>cache manager be able to deal with that or will everything just come crashing
>>down when they try?
>>

>No. No files bigger than 2G.
>
>Are you aware that open() on not-yet-cached files blocks until the whole file
>is fetched into the cache? It takes at least 2 minutes for 1G file on a 100Mbit
>connection.

Yes, as soon as I found this out it completely killed any plans I had
for using Coda. :(

If not for the RVM (since I want to use it with Maildir based mail
servers), blocking open() call (since I want to use it with larger
files), and reintegration issues (the users don't have command line
access to the servers -- so this is critical), I would be testing Coda
instead of OpenAFS.

OpenAFS 1.2 has a 2GB file size limitation, but version 1.3 in
development (late beta stages) has overcome that hurtle on all platforms
except for Windows.  Also OpenAFS has a max number of directory entries
of 64,000 per directory.

>>I know I'm asking a lot, but all I really want to know is if I should bother
>>to continue educating myself in Coda or if Coda just isn't the right solution
>>for me.
>>

>It is only you who know your needs and can make the decision.
>AFS is pretty stable and is in wide use. As you do not need
>write-replication or disconnected mode, it might be right for you.

I agree with Ivan.

Ryan, also don't take my word for it.  Ask on the OpenAFS list.

Mike