Coda File System

Re: Coda-6.0.7 released

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 17:12:27 -0400
On Fri, Oct 22, 2004 at 10:15:53AM -0500, Jerry Amundson wrote:
> Rather than generate empty manpage files if docbook2man is not
> installed, it would be helpful to just dump out a stub file that man
> can display. The message would be the same for each package, something
> like, "The man pages for this package require docbook2man (or something
> equivalent) to build."
>
> Or, "cat" files with the same message, but the install destination is
> different for those.

Yeah, I actually was thinking of having both the docbook source as well
as the nroff formatted pages in the tarball, but that turned out a bit
messy when I build with separate source and object trees. So I punted it
for this release. There are still a bunch of manpages in linuxdoc-sgml
format, so I'd like to get those converted and merged into the tree as
well.

I'm not yet sure about the whole stability of the docbook-sgml format,
there is already docbook-xml which will probably overtake it at some
point. On the other hand, I don't really want to use the admittedly more
stable nroff format as primary source either. Maybe in the end we just
should stick all the manpages in a wiki, and run some scripts to convert
updated versions to *roff and pull them into the tree. Just to keep it
as simple as possible.