Coda File System

Re: hard-coded values in coda scripts

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 09:34:58 -0500
On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 12:00:08PM +0100, lis Tams wrote:
> Hi all! I have Debian sarge installed and I've compiled a kernel
> 2.6.9. coda support compiled in with 96bit coda file ids.

96-bit is there for backward compatibility with coda-5 clients (and
older podfuk/davfs clients). It used to work on pre-2.6.9 kernels only
because of a naming error the option didn't actually do anything.

Here is what the help entry says,

config CODA_FS_OLD_API
    bool "Use 96-bit Coda file identifiers"
    depends on CODA_FS
    help
	A new kernel-userspace API had to be introduced for Coda v6.0
	to support larger 128-bit file identifiers as needed by the
	new realms implementation.

	However this new API is not backward compatible with older
	clients. If you really need to run the old Coda userspace
	cache manager then say Y.

	For most cases you probably want to say N.