Coda File System

Re: Migration procedure

From: Ivan Popov <pin_at_medic.chalmers.se>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 09:49:37 +0100
On Wed, Nov 17, 2004 at 01:33:04AM -0600, Jerry Amundson wrote:
> > If it's a directory, fire up your editor of choice and start hacking
> > Coda source.  Horrible, I know, but there you are; it's an unfortunate
> > (in hindsight) design choice made many years ago.  Jan et al. have
> > other priorities at the moment, although I'm pretty sure Jan has said
> > that this restriction is on his "must go away someday" list.
>
> Arrgh.
> [root_at_monamie root]# find /vicepa/0 | wc -l
> 2717

Hi Jerry,

it seems you are looking at the wrong place - Coda directory size limit
applies to directories in Coda (and huge maildirs easily reach the limit),
while the command above looks at the objects in the server storage area -
which resides on a local file system and normally does not impose additional
restrictions.

Be careful while copying lots of objects into Coda - file/directory creation
operations are rather slow, it makes the client to switch over to
write-disconnected and possibly to disconnected mode. Then you begin
filling the clients' cache and RVM, pretty fast. When your cache becomes full,
you may experience all weird effects.

I would guess that "File too large" just means you do not have enough space
in the cache for the next file. Venus tries to slow down writing when
the cache becomes full, but it may not be bulletproof.

I see you are working as root. Do you give root the necessary tokens
or are trying to write anonymously (which would inevitably fail
in [write-]disconnected mode) ?

[root_at_uhura home]# df -kl
/dev/hda2             11898640   6710364   4583856  60% /
/dev/hda1                99043      7766     86163   9% /boot
none                    128100         0    128100   0% /dev/shm
coda                    100000         1      9365   1% /coda

[root_at_uhura home]# cfs lv /coda/pbs.com
  Status of volume 0x7f000000 (2130706432) named "/"
  Volume type is ReadWrite
  Connection State is Connected
  Minimum quota is 0, maximum quota is unlimited
  Current blocks used are 84652
  The partition has 6299444 blocks available out of 11294220

It looks good.

If you want to know how much data is present in a certain volume
on a certain server, you can use something like

server# volutil info <volume>

and look at the number of disk blocks used.

Otherwise

client$ ls -alR /coda/pbs.com >/dev/null

would syncronize the replicas, given that the client is
in the fully connected mode.

Regards,
--
Ivan