Coda File System

Re: Client setup: how do connect to server?

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 15:22:58 -0500
On Wed, Feb 23, 2005 at 05:51:16PM +0200, Friendly Ghost wrote:
> I've already setup test coda-server and installed coda-client.
> Everything seem to work except that I can't tell my client to connect
> to the server.
>
> In documentation there is venus-setup mentioned which should do this,
> but I don't have (or can't find) it in my distribution (Debian).

Everything venus-setup does is done by debconf on Debian. You can run
'dpkg-reconfigure coda-client'.

> I was believing that venus-setup edits /etc/coda/venus.conf - but I
> can't find anything about server or server address in there.

A client doesn't know anything about any servers until you try to access
them in /coda. Any lookup for a non-existing entry in /coda triggers the
server lookup. So 'ls /coda/testserver.coda.cs.cmu.edu/' will tell the
client to try to make a connection to our testserver.

It looks like I missed part of the rest of the conversation,

And later on, Friendly Ghost probably wrote:
> >root_at_darkstar:~# volutil getvolumelist
> >
> >V_BindToServer: binding to host darkstar
> >P/vicepa Hdarkstar T3a0ac58 F2961be8
> >W/vicepa.0 I1000001 H1 P/vicepa m0 M0 U2 W1000001 C421c8f87 D421c8f87 B0 A0
> >GetVolumeList finished successfully

Ah, the rootvolume hasn't been created yet. On your server run the
following command,

    createvol_rep / localhost

Check the resulting output for errors that might indicate that the
create failed.

> >root_at_darkstar:~# BTW, I don't have /vice/db/VSGDB on the server :/. Do I
> >need it?
> I think that doesn't exist any more ...

Yep, gone. Finally, that file really hasn't been useful for a while and
was only used by createvol_rep to figure out on what group of server we
want to create a replicated volume. By explicitly naming all servers on
the createvol_rep commandline we don't need to use the strangely magic
E00000100 names anymore. Creating volumes is (in my eyes) a bit simpler
now eventhough it is more flexible.

    createvol_rep volume server[/partition] [server[/partition]] ...

If you only have a single partition (/vicepa) on your server the
partition names are not necessary, so the simplest case is now

    # create a singly replicated volume name 'foo' on the SCM (localhost)
    createvol_rep foo localhost

But it can get as complex as,

    # create a triply replicated volume named 'mmm' on the servers
    # mozart marais and mahler, which all have several partitions
    # available.
    createvol_rep mmm mozart.coda.cs.cmu.edu/vicepc \
	              marais.coda.cs.cmu.edu/vicepb \
		      mahler.coda.cs.cmu.edu/vicepa

This last one wasn't possible with the old commandline because we had to
pick one partition name which was used for all replicas in the group.

Or run "ctokens @<realmname>", I guess 'ctokens @darkstar' in this case.