Coda File System

Re: old documentation

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 07:37:03 -0500
On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 10:28:49AM -0300, Gabriel B. wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 10:08:07 +0100, Ivan Popov <pin_at_medic.chalmers.se> wrote:
> > So, if your realm is called "your.realm", then
>
> Ok, I think that i never set up a realm and never was asked about
> that, except for a default one while setting venus on the client. I'm
> i suposed to use kerberos or something?

No, there is no need to use kerberos. If there is only a single server
you don't really do anything special to set up a Coda realm. This email
details some of the stuff behind realms.

    http://www.coda.cs.cmu.edu/maillists/codalist/codalist-2003/4830.html

> > > then, the documentation tells me to do
> > >   #createvol_rep your-root-volume E0000100 /vicepa
>
> Can someone gives some pratical examples to praticaly use coda?
> Like, run that to set up the server, that to set up a shared volume,
> then run that on the client to mount and use it...
>
> i followed the how-to, read all of the sysadm guide, and still have no
> clue how to check "visible" servers on the client machine...

Things have changed in the hope to simplify the initial setup. Instead
of telling the user start all servers and create the initial volume, the
vice-setup script asks at the end if it can try to do everything for
you. So it is likely that there already is an initial volume on your
server.

On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 10:31:01AM -0300, Gabriel B. wrote:
> some more questions:
> where is the volumes info stored?
> where is the realm info stored? (a grep only shows kerberos real config)

The authorative place on the server is in RVM, but copies of the data
should be available in /vice/db/VRList (replication information) and
/vice/vol/BigVolumeList (location information).

On the server there really is no realm info, each group of servers is a
realm. You could add information in the form of DNS SRV records or a
line in /etc/coda/realms to designate multiple servers as representative
for the realm and gain some failover that way. But with a single server
that isn't necessary.