Coda File System

Re: Coda-client-setup 0.5 released

From: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih_at_eunetnorge.no>
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 17:41:43 +0100
Greg Troxel <gdt_at_ir.bbn.com> writes:

>> Then the system becomes unstable and hangs totally.
>
> I have never seen this.  Just panics due to vnode lock counts.

I have, until recently, been using Coda on a server to hold my $HOME
for my laptop.  It behaved just great for between one and two years
(Greg, you may remember helping me figure out some routing problems I
had switching between wired and wireless networks), except for hangs
in a very specific situation: if I let my tokens time out, while the
laptop was connected to a network, any attempt to access the file
system would fail, and the only possible fix was to very quickly use
an already open terminal window to re-authenticate.  Even then, the
whole system might hang shortly thereafter -- and if I wasn't quick
enough to re-authenticate, but kept trying to access files, it would
most certainly hang.  Hard reset only option.

-tih
--
Don't ascribe to stupidity what can be adequately explained by ignorance.