Coda File System

Re: bug on device usage by codasrv

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 15:29:16 -0500
On Tue, Mar 15, 2005 at 04:48:35PM -0300, Gabriel B. wrote:
> I created a second partition to use more inodes, and now vice refuses
> to come up.
>
> The Error log is:
> 16:25:33 Device 2052 requested by partition /vicepb used by /vicepa!
> Both /vicepa and /vicepb are symlinks to dirs on a reiserfs partition.
> You just have to do it to reproduce.

Since they are on the same partition, this is a bit pointless. We tend
to be limited by the available inodes/space on the physical partition on
which /vicepa is located.

There is ofcourse a slight problem if currently chosen depth and width
of the tree are not sufficient, changing either of those will make the
server not find existing container files. I guess it would be useful to
have something that can change the depth and width of the tree of
container files in an existing partition, but we haven't actually had a
case where we needed that.

> When i move any of them to a real dir, no symlinks, then coda starts.

Actually you are probably not placing them both on the same physical
device or partition when you move one of them to a real dir.