Coda File System

Re: supplementary documentation welcome?

From: Ivan Popov <pin_at_medic.chalmers.se>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 13:07:38 +0200
Hi Adam,

I think many, especially newcomers, would appreciate a structured
and up-to-date documentation source. Even a smaller HowTo-alike
is very useful, as long as it is kept accurate.

On Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 12:51:26PM -0400, adam stokes wrote:
> but i am ready to start converting my home network to coda, and once
> that is under control a small commercial network
> so
> this is the perfect oppertunity to document from a baby's point of view

Surely, an intention to document the process will get your questions
on the list a higher priority! :)

> it will probably be next month before i start, have some spring chores
> to get done and i am in make the house perfect mode in anticipation of
> our first child due this August

Best wishes to your future baby and its mother.
Those matters are a way more important than computers and filesystems.

> so my question is are there any conventions i should follow

Hmm. Can not remember anything relevant about convention.

Be careful with notions which tend to be misinterpreted.

As an example, a Coda identity has no relation to a local account
on a unix host. It is often that a coda account of a person has the same
name as the unix account used by the person, but it is to be seen as not more
than a coincidence. A Coda realm serves basically all computers in the world,
not only those administrated by the realm's sysadmin.

To make things even more confusing, Coda uses internally numerical ids,
which can happen to remind numerical uids in unix - though they are
in general incompatible (!) for the same reason as the account names.

> also, is there someone coordinating documation and coda themed
> sites...?...(take me to your leader)

Of course the "coordinating site" is coda.cs.cmu.edu. There was a couple
of HowTos out on the net but I do not directly recall where.
Google should know.

> -adam

Best regards, and keep your work going!
--