Coda File System

Re: replicated servers

From: Ivan Popov <pin_at_medic.chalmers.se>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 19:37:19 +0200
Hi Patrick,

On Fri, Apr 08, 2005 at 08:17:48AM -0600, Patrick Walsh wrote:
> machine in two realms.  My original question related to setting up a
> replicating server.  The second realm thing was because there's no dns
> setup on my test boxes and without that realms entry I have to use the
> ip address to access the replica (the /etc/hosts file is configured
> properly on all machines, but apparently coda ignores it unless it finds
> a name in a realms entry).

I seem to recall this bug and I think it has been fixed.
Which version you are experimenting with?

>         I found a bug in which accessing a realm that includes a server
> and then accessing that server directly (by IP or whatever) causes coda
> to act funny, disconnect from the machine, and put the RVM into a bad
> state.

Then of course it is a bug - but you are definitely not supposed to
access the same data via different realm names and expect consistency.
Venus shouldn't die, but it will not give you what you expect.

>         *** Do I have to do any sort of volume creation on the scm or
> the replica to get that replica to host certain volumes that are already
> on the scm?  A volutil command or a config file edit?

For the moment, you decide which servers host a volume's replicas
at volume creation. You _can_ expand a volume replicas list later,
but it is still considered unsupported - we do not have suitable tools
for making that kind of changes.

See
http://www.coda.cs.cmu.edu/maillists/codalist/codalist-2004/6180.html

>         *** My secondary question: how do I test to see if the replica
> really has copies of the scm's files?  (I plan on disconnecting the scm,
> flushing the cash on the client and testing that way, but I'm hoping
> there's an easier way.)

You can run "volutil info ..." against the server and the volume replica
you are interested in. Then you can see a lot of information, including
the total size of its files and the number of files (IIRC).

Regards,
--
Ivan