Coda File System

Re: Improving Coda documentation

From: Ivan Popov <pin_at_medic.chalmers.se>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 10:07:14 +0200
Hello Jan,

On Tue, Apr 12, 2005 at 03:59:01PM -0400, Jan Harkes wrote:

> I added a link for the wiki, it should at some point show up at the top
> of pretty much every page.

Nice!

> > - may be using passwords? it is a matter of personal taste, but I like systems
> > which trace contributors (if not otherwise, to be able to discuss instead
> > of plainly overwriting each other's text)
> > The maintainer would have to grant accounts, but also not have to restore
> > in case of damage by outsiders...
>
> I think anyone can simply create an account (top-right corner). I just
> created an account myself this morning.

I meant disallow anyone's access, let the wiki maintainer explicitely
grant passwords, which somehow protects from vandalism as it implies
mail exchanges and a bit of human intervention. Shouldn't be a bottleneck
as the documentation contributors are not really numerous.

> The only thing I have right now is the 'empty page' syndrome, no idea
> how to actually start with moving something like the existing Coda HOWTO
> into the wiki. Maybe the HowTo isn't even all that useful if the Coda

I don't think HowTo should be moved there. Wiki is good for documenting
details which are not present in the regular documentation.
I think a HowTo should be a separate and rather elaborated (though not big)
work.

> Users and System Adminstrators Manual is current. They mostly contain
> the same information it is just described more in-depth in the manual.

An Administration Manual could go in depth into details not covered
in HowTo, assuming the reader has gone through HowTo and has setup a realm
once. Then we can tell more about backups, shortcuts, special cases and so on,
but only after the main picture is well explained (via the HowTo).

> It is probably better to split the manual by chapter than having
> everything in a single large page though.

Agreed.

--
Ivan