Coda File System

Re: Assertion failed: file "vol-salvage.cc", line 927

From: Gunnar Wrobel <php_at_gunnarwrobel.de>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 23:49:54 +0200

> With 'norton' we can mark the replica for deletion, once that is done
> the server will remove the replica when it is started. Then we can
> recreate the replica and trigger resolution by doing an 'ls -lR' from
> the client.

Hi Jan,

thanks for the advice. I did not know about norton before.

I currently use coda only for testing purposes and I do not depend on
the volume. I thought I might be able to use norton to find the faulty
vnode and somehow fix it. This might also help me to understand a little
bit more about the structures coda uses to save the data.

So I tried to use norton to list the vnodes of the problematic volume
but somehow I did not succeed. If I increase the debugging level of the
server when it starts up I can see that it fails when scanning the large
vnodes:

09:46:23 Entering DCC(0x1000005)
09:46:23 Entering ExtractVolDiskInfo for volindex 2
09:46:23 Entering ActiveVnodes for index 2, vclass = 0
09:46:23 Entering DistilVnodeEssence(0, 16777221)
                                     ^
                                     VnodeClass = large

Now I started norton and tried to use "show vnode" like this

show vnode 16777221 ? 0

But I have to admit that I did not understand the meaning of the final
"unique" value and the command did yield no result. In principle the "?"
should result in a listing of all vnodes, is that correct?

I looked at the norton code and saw this line in the "show_vnode" function:

    int     vclass = vSmall;  /* HACK FIX THIS! */

Does this mean that I cannot use norton in order to list large vnodes?

Thanks!

Gunnar

(I hope this does not end up as a double posting. I used the wrong email
address the first time)

- --
Gunnar Wrobel

www: http://www.gunnarwrobel.de