Coda File System

Re: Plan to revise documentation

From: Patrick Walsh <pwalsh_at_esoft.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 08:26:15 -0600
On Tue, 2005-04-26 at 19:04 -0400, M. Satyanarayanan wrote:

> Please speak up soon if you see any serious problem with the above plan.
> Otherwise, we hope to get started on these changes soon.  Help from
> volunteers in the cleanup will be gratefully accepted!

	Sounds like an excellent plan to me.  I'm looking forward to seeing the
results.

	One thing that I'd also like to see -- maybe its place is on the wiki
-- is a list of Coda's constraints.  How many files in a directory can
coda handle, what are the limitations when working with big files, etc.
We want to use Coda as a stable and highly-available file system and
while it seems very good at fault tolerance for network faults, I'm
concerned about its fault tolerance when these border cases are
encountered.  A set of guidelines on what to stay away from would be
quite appreciated.

	Also -- is there a roadmap somewhere?  If not, there ought to be.  It
would be nice to know if, for example, if there were plans to use
librsync or whatever and to see what we can expect out of upcoming
releases.

--
Patrick Walsh
eSoft Incorporated