Coda File System

Re: Is coda not good at handling huge files?

From: Patrick Walsh <pwalsh_at_esoft.com>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 08:13:29 -0600
> I've tried to copy some large files (about 600MB each) into the

	See this page in the wiki: http://coda.wikidev.net/Limitations (note
especially the file size section at the end).

> restart it by "venus -init". Thirdly, other client will lose
> connection to the volume for a short period of time after the write
> operation.

	I'm guessing this has to do with the fact that, "because we're single
threaded (userspace threading), the server process is blocked until all
the data has hit the disk." (this from a recent e-mail from Jan -- the
details are on this page:
http://coda.wikidev.net/Why_to_avoid_a_client/server_combination )

	I'm guessing (and I expect I'll be corrected if I'm wrong) that the
server is busy with the big file and so the other clients are unable to
get a decent response time.  Being write-disconnected is often more
efficient anyway as write operations for multiple files are batched
instead of being done one at a time.

	Generally speaking, coda seems to have issues with very large files,
directories with large numbers of files, and programs that keep files
open for writing on coda.

--
Patrick Walsh
eSoft Incorporated