Coda File System

Re: A question on coda limitations

From: Ivan Popov <pin_at_medic.chalmers.se>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 09:32:12 +0200
> >http://coda.wikidev.net/Limitations

On Thu, May 26, 2005 at 09:15:38AM +0800, Alvin Chan wrote:
> Actually I've read that before. I just can't get the meaning about the
> directory size. Does it mean the limitation on number of entries stand
> between 2048 - 4096?

Hi Alvin,

a directory consists of bytes stored somewhere (in the "recoverable
virtual memory") and there is a size limit in bytes.

As an entry in a directory can take different number of bytes depending,
say, on the length of the corresponding object name, you can not easily
recalculate the size limit in bytes into size limit in entries.

The rule of thumb to rely on would be the numbers indicated in the Wiki,
2-4K entries per directory.

Hope it clears a possible confusion.

Best regards,
--