Coda File System

Re: stripped coda-debug-client

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 18:19:12 -0400
On Sat, Jun 11, 2005 at 07:37:36PM +0200, Florian Schaefer wrote:
> Coda just failed on me once again, it does so regularly here. Therefore I
> thought I might try to attach a gdb to my _debug_ client.
>
> But: All files are stripped!

Yeah, I figured that one out too.

> What is the connection between the "debug" in the name and the debugging
> symbols?

Technically the -debug- pagackes are built with debugging symbols, and
we don't strip in Coda's build/install rules. But it looks like Fedora
or rpm or something now defaults stripping the binaries as they are
added to the RPM packages.

There is some mystery -debuginfo- rpm, but I haven't figured out how
that is helpful. Maybe gdb works if that one is installed, but objdump,
ltrace and a bunch of other tools still don't work for me. Maybe I'm
just doing something wrong.

I don't see why rpm seems to strip binaries and libraries.