Coda File System

Re: missing the root volume... I think

From: Brett Lymn <blymn_at_baesystems.com.au>
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2005 22:25:44 +0930
On Sun, Jul 03, 2005 at 05:27:55PM -0400, Jan Harkes wrote:

> However the lookup in /etc/coda/realms happens before that point, so I
> didn't think it was affected by the extra paranoid checks. On the other
> hand, only specifying a realm name without hosts is like a negative
> lookup rule and is used to indicate that some realm definitely does not
> exist.

I put into the realms file:

rover rover

which, if I understand what you are saying, should have done the right
thing but I still had a dangling sym link.  It's not a big deal but it
is a bit of a gotcha for a new user (like me :)

> Right you shouldn't have to do that. The problem could be in the kernel
> or in venus, something must have cached the permission mask based on an
> earlier unauthenticated lookup.

I am suspecting kernel somewhere because I tried again tonight after
the laptop had been rebooted and the write worked ok without resorting
to any other commands.  I am now untar'ing a reasonable number of
files into the coda fs and it seems to be working.

Now I need to finish weeding out the lp64 compiler nits on my amd64
machine and see if I can get that going!

--
Brett Lymn