Coda File System

Coda Kernel Module v6.2 [resend with attachments]

From: Patrick Walsh <pwalsh_at_esoft.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 12:44:05 -0600
	I finally made some time to upgrade coda from 6.0.11 to 6.0.12 and the
kernel module from 6.1 to 6.2.

	I'm building the 6.2 version of the coda module against a Redhat AS3
kernel (a patched 2.4.21 kernel).  upcall.c has some new functions:
block_signals and unblock_signals.  These make use of
&current->sigmask_lock.  For some reason that I can't make out, redhat
has patched sigmask_lock out of the kernel.  It is replaced with
sighand->siglock.  Patching upcall.c to change each occurrence got me to
the next stumbling block.

	upcall.c:672: structure has no member named `uc_posttime'

	This line refers to the upc_req structure, which doesn't have
uc_posttime.

	It seemed to me (and please check me on this) that uc_posttime was only
ever used in a debug function.  So I deleted all references to it.  And
that got me to the next problem.

upcall.c: In function `block_signals':
upcall.c:642: too many arguments to function
`recalc_sigpending_Rfb6af58d'
upcall.c: In function `unblock_signals':
upcall.c:650: too many arguments to function
`recalc_sigpending_Rfb6af58d'
upcall.c: In function `coda_upcall':
upcall.c:791: too many arguments to function `coda_waitfor_upcall'

	To fix the second error I changed this line:

runtime = coda_waitfor_upcall(req, vcommp);

runtime = coda_waitfor_upcall(req);

	but since I don't understand what it was meant to do, I'm very worried
that I might have broken something.

	Finally, it appears that recalc_sigpending doesn't take an argument (I
guess it assumes &current).  I don't know if this is redhat specific or
not.

	I've attached the patch file that I needed to get everything to build.
I've also attached the spec file I used to create an rpm.  I haven't
installed or tested the rpm yet pending word on the my patches.

	And updating the rest of coda is going to have to wait a little bit
now...

Thanks,

--
Patrick Walsh
eSoft Incorporated

%define kernver 2.4.21

Name: linux-coda
Version: 6.2
Release: esoft.11
Source: linux-coda-%{version}.tgz
Patch1: linux-coda-redhat.patch
Copyright: CMU
Group: Base/Kernel
Requires: kernel = %{kernver}-%{release}
BuildRoot: %{_tmppath}/%{name}-root
Obsoletes: coda-fs-module
%description
This package solely contains the kernel module for the Coda filesystem.

%prep
%setup
%patch1 -p1

%build
KVER=%{kernver}-%{release}
cd linux2.4
make KVER=%{kernver}-%{release}

%install
mkdir -p $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/lib/modules/%{kernver}-%{release}/kernel/fs/coda
/bin/cp linux2.4/coda.o $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/lib/modules/%{kernver}-%{release}/kernel/fs/coda

%post
depmod -ae

%files
/lib/modules/%{kernver}-%{release}/kernel/fs/coda/coda.o

%changelog
* Thu Sep 29 2005 Patrick Walsh <pwalsh_at_esoft.com>
- adjusted to work with new 6.2 build
* Mon Jun 02 1997 Peter Braam <braam_at_cs.cmu.edu>
- small changes to Elliots improvements.
- some of his ideas are now in the scripts
* Wed May 28 1997 Elliot Lee <sopwith_at_redhat.com>
- Based upon 4.0.3-1 spec file.
- Changed to BuildRoot
- Do as much as possible at build time instead of in %post
- Added initscript for venus