Coda File System

Re: /coda has realm as symlink

From: Jerry Amundson <jerry_at_pbs.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 21:51:20 -0500
On Mon October 17 2005 10:52, Jan Harkes wrote:
> > On Sat October 15 2005 21:16, Jerry Amundson wrote:
> > Better now...
> > took server names out of "localhost" line in /etc/hosts - previously I
> > just added ipaddress setting in server.conf but this prevents vice-setup
> > from
>
> That was your problem. The name of the local server resolved to
> 127.0.0.1. This is not a globally accessible name, so when some client
> was asking where a volume was located, the server would respond, you can
> find the volume at 127.0.0.1 and 10.1.110.6. Which would only work for
> clients on the same machine, and other clients wouldn't be able to talk
> to both replicas. When a client only talks to one replica, things seem
> to work for a while, until the resolution log fills up and everything
> dies. By ignoring/flagging 127.0.0.1 as an illegal address we catch
> these problems much earlier.

OK. I thought the whole point was that the client wouldn't *need* to talk to
one server, or any for that matter. Hence, "disconnected operation". Having
"everything die" is not what I'm looking for here...

I've re-initialized everything and put /etc/hosts the way it was (the server
as localhost). As expected, startserver fails, killing vice-setup. That's
fine, I run createvol_rep successfully creating the "docs" volume. But ...

[root_at_aspen vice]# getvolinfo docs aspen
RPC2 connection to docs:2432 failed with RPC2_NOBINDING (F).

I just added it - why does this at this point? Maybe because in DNS, I have
SRV records for *both* coda servers, but only one of them is up?

Ugh. Sorry for the rambling. I just don't see why the "ipaddress" setting is
described in server.conf, as I get the impression Coda servers just won't
work with the server as 127.0.0.1 in /etc/hosts? Yes, perhaps RedHat is
brain-damaged for defaulting it that way, but it's what I have to work
with...

jerry