Coda File System

Re: testing Coda on Win XP

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 13:42:24 -0400
On Fri, Oct 21, 2005 at 11:36:14AM +0200, Ivan Popov wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 21, 2005 at 05:28:08PM -0400, Jan Harkes wrote:
> > * The Windows XP build is our first 'beta' release.
> >   For more information see, http://www.coda.cs.cmu.edu/windowsnt.html
>
> (probably not a news for the developers) symlinks on Coda do not work.

Yeah, there is no low-level equivalent of a symlink on Windows. They use
files with a .lnk extension whose format is not really documented and
which are interpreted by the higher level Windows Explorer shell. The
.lnk files also contain a lot more information than simply a pathname.

I'm not sure how cygwin handles symlinks, maybe they try to create or
parse those .lnk files, in which case Coda might be able to represent
symlinks as files with an .lnk extension.

> The client hanged at "ln -s ...." from cygwin, and it is not capable to
> access existing symlinks, they are shown as files but "cat xxx" says
> "it is a directory" :-)

Deceptive error, which probably should be 'is not a file', but I guess
that either that error is not available as an errno value, or not a part
of POSIX. We'd never see an open attempt coming from the kernel for a
symlink on UNIX systems since they are automatically redirect the open
to the link target.