Coda File System

Re: Some more question about argument against having both coda-server and client on the same machine

From: M.Kondrin <mkondrin_at_hppi.troitsk.ru>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 11:01:07 +0400
Thank you for explanations but I still can not get the point. I see that
disabling disconnection once and for all is a bad idea because the
disconnection is normal routine for coda. But  I still do not understand
why having the coda client on a machine, where one of a set of
replicated servers resides, is any worse than usual.

> if the system is
>trashing, it will affect the client just as much as the server.So the
>client might be blocked while swapping and not see the response from the
>second server fast enough.

But here the situation jast as bad as with client and server which are
on different and heavily loaded machines.  The client is already
disconnected from the local server and the interaction with client and
the next replicated server proceeds the same way as if the local server
was absent from the beggining, isn't it? Yes,  the local server does put
a load on the machine, but suppose we have another application (instead
of the local coda-server) which is greedy for memory and makes
coda-client swap a lot?

Thank you,
M.Kondrin