Coda File System

Re: kernel patch

From: Denis Chapligin <chollya_at_satgate.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 10:57:16 +0200
Hello!

On Fri, Dec 30, 2005 at 01:13:58AM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
>     >> What's wrong with the one that's been standard in the kernel
>     >> for ages?
>
>     Denis> Venus claims that it's too old in 2.4.x
>
> IIRC, the version skew detection is a little too clumsy, and assumes
> that the only thing that can go wrong is for the module to be too
> old.  A common issue seems to be rebuilding the kernel without
> rebuilding the modules; you should rebuild the coda module every time
> you rebuild the kernel.  I'm running 2.4.20 (I have a slight case of
> my-uptime-is-bigger-than-your-uptime-itis) and I know I used the
> module distributed with that kernel.

My problem is that i'm trying to build kernels in 'debian way', so i
have a single .deb package with kernel, some patches, additional modules
and so on. But coda module requires additional work in this case and it
comes to be a problem whan you have several dozens of servers:) So
providing a kernel patch for coda module will make a life easier .

--
						Denis Chapligin