Coda File System

Re: Is coda right for me?

From: Greg Troxel <gdt_at_ir.bbn.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 09:01:55 -0500
Michael Heinrich <michael_at_vierpi.de> writes:

>   - The client (linux x86) should be able to suspend to disk (swsusp2)
>     or to ram

I've done this under NetBSD - there's a kernel part and a user process
and there's nothing special about it from a suspend viewpoint.

>   - The client should work after reconfiguring the network, e.g. I want
>     to use the coda-client on my laptop at home via ethernet and then
>     via VPN over ISDN or WLAN or ... without leaving the coda-directory.

Yes, this works fine.  You don't have to use the same IP address, and
you don't have to stop venus (user-space part).  venus opens a socket
without binding an address, so packets will be sent with the current
address.  I do this all the time, and also run IPsec to protect the
coda traffic.

Also, the filesystem works when you don't have a network, with reads
from the cache and writes when disconnected saved locally and later
reintegrated.  This necessarily leads to a lot of complexity, and the
possibility of conflicts.  If you don't think this is useful or cool
something simpler may be a better choice.

--
        Greg Troxel <gdt_at_ir.bbn.com>