Coda File System

the coda "repair" tool

From: Eric Toombs <eric.toombs_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 17:14:03 -0400

The repair tool fails to repair inconsistent global-local objects
every time I try it. Here's what the result of each attempted repair
looks like. the first part is the last few lines of
/usr/coda/etc/console.

amanda ~ # tail -f /usr/coda/etc/console
16:26:53 Local inconsistent object at
/mnt/coda/amanda.toombs.lan/distfiles/libxklavier-2.2.tar.gz, please
check!

16:28:53 volume / has unrepaired local subtree(s), skip checkpointing CML!

16:31:53 Local inconsistent object at
/mnt/coda/amanda.toombs.lan/distfiles/libxklavier-2.2.tar.gz, please
check!

16:36:53 Local inconsistent object at
/mnt/coda/amanda.toombs.lan/distfiles/libxklavier-2.2.tar.gz, please
check!

16:38:53 volume / has unrepaired local subtree(s), skip checkpointing CML!

amanda ~ # repair
This repair tool can be used to manually repair server/server
or local/global conflicts on files and directories.
You will first need to do a "beginrepair" to start a repair
session where messages about the nature of the conflict and
the commands that should be used to repair the conflict will
be displayed. Help message on individual commands can also be
obtained by using the "help" facility. Finally, you can use the
"endrepair" or "quit" to terminate the current repair session.
repair > beginrepair
/mnt/coda/amanda.toombs.lan/distfiles/libxklavier-2.2.tar.gz
Local-global file repair session started.
Available Commands:
        checklocal
        listlocal
        preservelocal
        preservealllocal
        discardlocal
        discardalllocal
        setglobalview
        setmixedview
        setlocalview
A list of local mutations is available in the .cml file in the coda
spool directory
repair > listlocal
VIOC_REP_CMD(REP_CMD_LIST): No such file or directory

repair > preservelocal
VIOC_REP_CMD(REP_CMU_PRESERVE): No such file or directory

repair > endrepair
Commit the local-global repair session? [Y]: y
REP_CMD_END failed: No such file or directory
Error ending repair session
amanda ~ #

It gives me the error message, "no such file or directory," but I
can't imagine what it's referring to because for one, it didn't say
which file it was looking for and it's apparent that the inconsistent
file exists. The console file mentioned a CML. What is a CML anyway? I
am using Gentoo Linux 2006.0, the kernel version is 2.6.16-gentoo-r9,
and I am using coda-6.0.10, by the way.

There is one other thing I keep seeing whenever there is a
global-local inconsistency. Whenever I run this command, I achieve
this result:

amanda ~ # cfs la /mnt/coda/amanda.toombs.lan/distfiles/
      System:AnyUser  rl
amanda ~ #

The entire directory that contains the inconsistent object becomes
read-only even though I am logged in. I don't know whether or not this
is normal but that's what happens. Any suggestions to fixing this
problem are greatly appreciated.